Thanksgiving is tomorrow! I am so excited about all the food but for this holiday, I wanted a lighter option for dessert. I made this recipe for 2 people but you can always double or triple it for more people. Don’y get me wrong, I LOVE sweet potato pie and sweet potato casserole but all that butter and sugar can make me feel heavy. So if you need a lighter option this holiday season, try this recipe.
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 T honey or any kind of sugar substitute. (You can also use brown sugar)
- 1 T coconut oil
- pinch of salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- chopped pecans
- small marshmallows
- Prick sweet potatos with a fork all over and cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until soft.
- Let cool for a few minutes then slice off the tops. I didn't want to cut them in half so it would keep it's boat shape, so only a little off the top so you can scoop out the middle.
- Scoop out the middle, leaving a ¼ inch border of sweet potato on the inside.
- In a bowl combine scooped out sweet potato, honey, coconut oil, salt and cinnamon and smash until and combined.
- Spoon back into sweet potato "boat" and top with chopped pecans. You can also use walnuts or any nuts you have on hand.
- Bake again at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with marshmallows. Put back into the oven and bake for a few minutes, until marshmallows are brown on top. They will cook very fast so watch them closely. If you have a kitchen torch, you can also use that to brown the marshmallows.
We ate these last night and they were so yummy. They really cured my sweet tooth craving! Happy Thanksgiving.